Connect
Follow on Bloglovin
Type & hit enter to search

Dia & Co

Sewing
Black knit scout tee front view

Knit Scout Glee

Hey ho there, friends! I am all kinds of happy today!

It all started with some wonderful fabric. It’s a black polyester rayon ponte knit. Who would’ve thought I’m a polyester fan? But man, it is soft and drapes nicely and was so easy to work with! I got it from Fabric Mart, but sadly it is no longer available. Even more sad, I thought I had 6 yards of it, but my invoice shows only 3 – so my plan of making a Lady Skater from it later today is no more, since I just finished making a glorious knit Grainline Studio Scout Tee.

Black knit scout tee

Yep, the knit scout is in the house! First, I am happy to report that my dartless FBA experiment (a la Moonthirty’s “how not to do an fba“) was a success. I will hang on to my darted version of the front bodice just in case it doesn’t work as well in a woven, but I think it is going to be fine.

This top was inspired by a pair of dark red plaid RTA pants I just bought. The pants are a size too big, but I want to wear them on a trip next week, so a belt will have to do. I wanted a black top to go with the pants, as I would be wearing my black Doc Martens boots with them. So I tried the Scout Tee in a knit.

It took me all of an hour and fifteen minutes to sew this up, all on my serger except for the sleeve and bottom hems and neckline topstitching.

Black knit scout tee side view

Knit Scout Tee, Side View

I forgot to take a little off the top of the sleeve cap when I modified the pattern. I still think I need to do that. It’s a little too puffy.

Other than that, though, I am happy with the pattern! And it worked great as a knit. I probably could have sized down in a knit fabric, but it’s such a loose and flowy design to begin with that I didn’t want it to be any more fitted.

Black knit scout tee back view

Knit Scout Tee, Rear View

I like the length in the back – full coverage of the waistband of pants, but not obnoxiously long.

I am very pleased with my work on this top for 2 reasons:

  1. I only made one significant mistake. (There are usually several more!) On the neckline, in one spot I did not catch all of the fabric in the serger, so there was a hole. I was afraid that putting it back through the serger would result in making more holes, so I zig-zag stitched the hole together on my sewing machine. It’s a visible goof.

    Serger error

    Serger goof near the left shoulder seam on the neckline. Whoops.

  2. My guess on the length of the neck band strip was pretty good! I might make it just a tiny bit longer next time, as I think the stretch is making the neckline just a little bit wavy, but I’m going to go ahead and say – not bad at all!

    Neckline

    Not bad for a first attempt if I do say so myself! OK, please ignore the little topstitching flub at the center front. I’m getting better at it, anyway!

All in all, I’m very happy with this top and wish I had this fabric in every color to make a dozen more of these! I could seriously wear the heck out of these. There will be more. Now, please cross your fingers that I have enough of this fabric left to eek out a Lady Skater dress! Oh, the perfect little black dress it would be…

 

Start the conversation